FAQs

Do you take walk-in appointments?

Yes, we do take walk-ins on a standby basis. Walk-ins can be worked into the schedule as time permits. Walk-in appointment should expect an extended wait time.

How long does it take to get an appointment?

Most often, if you call early in the morning, a same day appointment can be possible. If you wish a particular day and time of the week that is already filled, your appointment might have to be made further out. It often depends on how flexible your schedule is, as we try to accommodate patients as quickly as possible.

Do you accept Medicaid?

Only if it is secondary to another insurance. We are not able to take Medicaid as a primary insurance.

Do you accept Medicare?

Yes, and all of the Medicare Advantage Plans as well.

Do you provide school physicals?

Yes, and these can be completed quickly and economically.

How long will my appointment take?

It depends on your condition. If you only need medication refills, the actual appointment is rather brief. If you have multiple chronic conditions that must be monitored, your appointment time will be longer. Also, if you have special testing that needs to be done, X-rays, or other consultations scheduled at the same time, these will all add time to your actual appointment.

We try to schedule appointments according to anticipated length, but many times the doctor will discover underlying conditions that require further investigation or testing. Also, an urgent visit might have to be worked in due to the severity of the patient’s condition. In these instances, unanticipated complicated appointments and urgent visits might result in a longer wait time to see the doctor.

How do I cancel my appointment?

You may do so in 2 ways. You may call the office directly or you may use the Demand Force button on the web site to reschedule or cancel an appointment.

What happens if I fail to keep my appointment?

? Un-kept appointment, called No-Shows, result in delays, patients having to wait to be seen because the appointment time was unavailable on the schedule, and lost revenue. If you discover you are going to be unable to keep your scheduled appointment, please call at least 48 hours in advance and we will gladly reschedule your appointment to a more convenient time. Patients who habitually “No-Show” may be asked to pre-pay their appointment before one can be scheduled.

Why do I have to pay copay?

A copay, or copayment, is part of the contract between you and your insurance company. You select the insurance plan you want and there are certain provisions that the insurance company and you must abide by in order to maintain coverage. One of the most common items is the copayment. This is set by the plan you select and can vary based on the type of appointment you have scheduled or the type of doctor you see. Some plans have a $0 copayment, while others might require you to pay as much as $50. The doctor’s office is required to collect this copayment at the time the services are rendered. If you are not sure of the amount of your copayment, please call our office and we can gladly look this information up for you. The amount is set by your choice of plans, not by the doctor’s office.

What is the difference between a copay and co-insurance?

A copay, or copayment, is a set amount the doctor’s office is required to collect at the time services are rendered in the office. The amount is set by your insurance company and the coverage plan you have selected.

Coinsurance is the amount NOT covered by your insurance plan, which exceeds your copayment. If your copayment is $5 and your plan states it will pay 80% and you must pay the remaining 20%, then you will owe the difference between the 20% and your $5 copayment. Some plans pay 100%, some 90%, most 80%, and some even less. This is determined by your plan, not the doctor’s office.

Why am I asked to pay co-insurance when my policy has a $0 copay?

Your coinsurance is separate from your copayment. IF your insurance company pays 80%, then you are responsible for the remaining 20%, regardless if there is a copayment or not.

What is a deductible?

A deductible is the amount each person, or family unit, must pay “out of pocket” before the insurance company will pay benefits on your behalf. Deductibles vary from policy to policy, and are part of the contract of coverage between you and your insurance company. This is not determined by the doctor’s office. If your policy has a $1000 deductible, then you will be expected to pay $1000 in medical expenses yourself before your insurance company will pay anything on your behalf. If you have questions about your deductible, it is best to call your insurance company for complete details.

What is a Medicare Advantage Plan?

A Medicare Advantage Plan is a plan offered by a private company that contracts with Medicare to provide you with all your Medicare Part A and Part B benefits. Medicare Advantage Plans are HMOs, PPOs, or Private Fee-for-Service Plans. If you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan, Medicare services are covered through the plans, and are not paid for under Original Medicare.

What information should I bring with me to the doctor visit?

Please bring all medications you are taking, as well as any pertinent medical information or records. If you have had any tests done recently by another doctor, these would be helpful as well.

Can I bring a family member or friend with me to my appointment?

You are welcome to bring anyone with you to your appointment that might be helpful or a comfort to you.

What information do I need to have when I make an appointment?

If you are a new patient, please be prepared to give the following information:

  • Full legal name
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security number
  • Address
  • Cell phone number
  • Home phone number (if applicable)
  • Email address
  • Insurance company, ID # and group #
  • The reason for the appointment
  • If you wish to be seen at the Dallas or Arlington location

 
If you are a current patient, please give your name, date of birth insurance company, which office you prefer, and the reason for the appointment.

What is a PCP?

PRIMARY CARE DOCTOR – A doctor who is trained to give you basic care. Your primary care doctor is the doctor you see first for most health problems. He or she makes sure that you get the care that you need to keep you healthy. He or she may talk with other doctors and health care providers about your care and refer you to them. In many HMOs, you must see your primary care doctor before you can see any other health care provider.

What is a secondary payer?

An insurance policy, plan, or program that pays second on a claim for medical care. This could be Medicare, Medicaid, or other insurance depending on the situation.

What is a primary payer?

An insurance policy that pays first on a claim for medical care.

What is a referral?

A written order from your primary care doctor for you to see a specialist or get certain services. In many health plans, you need to get a referral before you can get care from anyone except your primary care doctor. If you don’t get a referral first, the plan may not pay for your care.

How do I obtain my medical records?

You simply have to sign a request for your medical records, specifying what types of records you want and the dates of service you want them to cover. IN many cases, there is little or no charge for this service. However, if the request exceeds 20 pages or covers a large time frame, you may be charged by the page at a rate of $0.25.

What is an EOB?

And EOB is an Explanation of Benefits. You will receive one for each claim that was billed to your insurance company. It explains the total amount that was billed, any adjustments that were made, the total amount the insurance company paid on your behalf, and the amount you might owe as a balance.

Do I need to make an appointment for medication refills?

In most cases, the answer is yes. In some cases, the regulatory law requires it. The doctor attempts to schedule your follow up appointments at the time you will need a refill on your medications. If you find you are going to run out of a medication prior to your follow up appointment, please call the office to reschedule your appointment to an earlier date. It is important that you not run out of your medication.

Why am I asked to show my insurance card and picture ID at every appointment?

Patients frequently change insurance companies and do not realize the office has the expired or inactive policy in their records. In order for your visit to be covered by your insurance company, the office must make certain we have accurate and up to date information. You are asked to present a picture ID for your own protection. Our staff wants to make certain we protect you and your identity. If the staff member is not readily familiar with you by sight, you may be asked to present your picture ID to make certain it matches the insurance provided and the name on the appointment. This helps prevent identity theft and protects your insurance coverage.